Saturday, October 29, 2011

Opening Studio Doors



















So much of the creative process is about solitude.
Writer Thomas Mann said "Solitude gives birth to the original in us, to beauty unfamiliar and perilous-to poetry."
As a painter I find that I need to spend a great deal of my time alone. When creating a children's book I work to find focus in the storytelling. This involves 18-20 paintings and so I am often isolated for months on end. I strive to find that quiet space, free of distractions that lets each story take shape.
One of the great contradictions to this idea is the need to nurture creativity by connecting with others, to gain inspiration and actively collaborate. This coming Friday November 4 I will be opening the doors of my studio and want to invite readers of this blog to come by. I will be talking about my process and concept with a group of design and illustration students from San Diego City College. If you can make it meet at 843 Tenth Avenue. Studio C in downtown San Diego next Friday November 4 at noon.

1 comment:

OscarOrtiz.Com said...

Great initiative Rafael. I wish I could be there, but it's a bit of a long haul from North Carolina. Please post pics of the visits and the studio.